What’s better than a big pan of apple crumble? This easy recipe fills a 9 x 13 inch pan with crunchy topping and a gingery apple filling.
Growing up with an apple tree in my backyard, my family would hours making and freezing homemade applesauce and canning apple butter. To keep us going, my mom would make her signature apple crisp. We’d shovel in forkfuls with vanilla ice cream running down our chins. And now, Alex and I finally have our own take on the old standard! This is the best classic apple crumble (or apple crisp, because they’re pretty darn similar). It’s a big 9 x 13 pan to feed a crowd, and fresh ginger accentuates the gooey filling perfectly. Ready to get started?
This apple crumble is truly easy to make (loads easier than apple pie!). It uses simple ingredients and time-honored crumble traditions. And, it’s always a hit when we serve it to friends and family! There aren’t many people who will refuse a scoop of warm apple crumble with some melty vanilla ice cream (right?). Here are a few tips for baking and serving this apple crumble:
For the filling
6 medium to large cooking apples
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the crumble
3/4 cup all purpose flour (or almond flour for gluten-free)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (or coconut oil for vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Core, peel and thinly slice the apples. Peel the ginger and grate it.
- Combine the apple slices and filling ingredients in large bowl and toss with your hands until well coated.
- In separate bowl, make the crumble topping: stir together the flour, brown sugar, oats, walnuts and kosher salt. Add the vanilla and stir. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to bowl. Use pastry cutter or fork to fully incorporate the butter (or room temperature coconut oil).
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place the apple filling in the bottom, then evenly distribute the crumble over the top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until browned and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly, then serve with Greek yogurt or creme fraiche sweetened with a drizzle of maple syrup, whipped cream (classic, vegan or bourbon infused), or ice cream.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/easy-apple-crumble/