This decadent vegan chocolate cake features a vegan chocolate buttercream filling and a shiny dark chocolate ganache. It’s cake perfection!
Chocolate cake on your mind? Ours too. This incredible, decadent vegan chocolate cake features a rich, moist interior and a fluffy buttercream filling. The best part? It’s topped off with a shiny ganache topping! You’re going to want to stop what you’re doing and run to the kitchen to make this: NOW! This legitimately incredible vegan chocolate cake is just sweet enough and the perfect birthday cake for chocolate lovers. The recipe is courtesy of our friend Gena of The Full Helping from her new book, Food52 Vegan. How to make it this beauty? Here are all of Gena’s secrets.
No eggs are needed in this vegan chocolate cake because it’s been formulated with the right amount of liquid to to make for a beautifully moist, chocolate-y cake. For the milk, you can use the non-dairy milk of your choice. In our baked goods we like to use a high-quality almond milk. In this recipe, you’ll also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to the non-dairy milk to give it a little tang like buttermilk. Mix it all up in your mixer, pour into two round baking pans, and bake for about 25 minutes.
For the cake
3 cups (
375g) unbleached all-purpose flour
2⁄3 cup (
60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (475ml) unsweetened nondairy milk, homemade or store-bought
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 3⁄4 cups (
2⁄3 cup (160ml) melted coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the filling
1 cup (
245g) pumpkin puree
1⁄4 cup (
20g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1⁄4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
3 tablespoons almond butter or cashew butter
For the ganache
6 ounces (
170g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1⁄2 cup (120ml) coconut milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat two 8- or 9-inch (20 or 23cm) round springform pans with melted coconut oil.
- To make the cake, put the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together the nondairy milk and vinegar until frothy. Whisk in the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Add about one-third of the mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a spatula or whisk, or use an electric mixer on the lowest setting. Repeat, adding the remaining liquid in two more additions, mixing just until incorporated after the final addition. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven but leave the cakes in their pans and let cool completely.
- To make the filling, process all the ingredients in a food processor.
- To make the ganache, put the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Combine the coconut milk and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just simmering. Pour over the chocolate and stir until melted. Let cool to room temperature.
- To assemble the cake, remove the layers from their pans. Place one, top side up, on a serving platter and gently shave off the rounded top with a sharp knife. Spread all of the filling over the top. Place the other cake layer atop the filling. Pour the ganache evenly over the top and let it drizzle down the sides. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Leftovers will keep in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days.